The Indian Army has banned 89 apps. The army has instructed its officers and employees to immediately remove all the apps included in the ban from their smartphones. The army has banned apps on messaging platforms, web browsers, content sharing, gaming, etc., including Facebook, TicketTalk, TrueColor, Instagram, UC Browser, PUBG etc. According to sources, the threat of leaking information has been told behind this action.
Army banned these apps
- Messaging Platforms: We Chat, QQ, Kick, Eau Wo, Nimbuzz, Hello, Q Zone, Share Chat, Viber, Line, IMO, Snow, Tow Talk, Hike
- Video: TikTok, Likey, Samosa, Quali
- File Sharing: Share It, Gender, Zapya
- Web Browser: UC Browser, UC Browser Mini
- Video Calling & Live Streaming: Live Me, Bigo Live, Zoom, Fast Films, We Met, Up Live, Vigo Video
- Utility Apps: Cam Scanner, Beauty Plus, True Caller
- Gaming Apps: PubG, Nono Live, Clash of Kings, All Tensant Gaming Apps, Mobile Legends
- E-Commerce: Ali Express, Culb Factory, Gear Best, China Brands, Bang Good, Minin the Box, Tiny Deal, DHH Gate, Lighten the Box, DX, Eric Desk, Jfull, TBDress, Modility, Rosagal, Sheen, Romvi
- Dating App: Tinder, Truly Madley, Happen, Isle, Coffee Meets Badgele, Woo, OK Cupid, Hinge, Ezar, Bumbley, Tantain, Elite Singles, Tazed, Couch Surfing
- Anti Virus: 360 Security
- Social Media: Facebook, Baidu, Instagram, Elo, Snapchat
- News Apps: News Dog, Daily Hunt
- Online Book Reading: CC, Vocal
- Health App: Heal of Y
- Lifestyle App: PopExo
- Knowledge app: Vocal
- Music Apps: Hungama, Songs.PK
- Blogging / Micro Blogging: Yelp, Tumbler, Reddit, Friends Feed, Private Blogs
Before this action of the army, the government had banned 59 Chinese apps including Tik Tok in view of Ladakh violence. It was said by the government that these apps are a threat to India’s security.
The government had said that concerns were being expressed about the privacy of Indians and the security of data. It was said that sovereignty and unity are threatened by these applications. Some mobile apps on Android and iOS platforms were being misused. These apps were illegally stolen from the user’s data and sent to a server outside India. Therefore, the action of ban was necessary.